- Our chains after a snowy day. The Canyon of the Gunnison. Nights above 3000 meters. The endless ribbon of tar crossing the state, our route. Black.
- Rocks and cliffs in the San Miguel river valley. Beans in chili sauce. Tail lights in the fog. The flower on Fireworks’s handlebar. Our cheeks after a climb. Red.
- Snow capped peaks over 4000 meters high. Snow and hail falling on 2 bikers attempting to pass over the Dallas Divide. Clouds looming over us, saying “Watch out”. White. (Well… whitish gray).
- Spruces, pines and budding aspen leaves finally coming out after an 8-month winter. Fireworks. Green.
- Granola. Dry wintering grass. Log cabins. Wood fences. Elks (were they really?). Brown
- Our windbreakers. Clear skies on happy days. Water, whether it’s ice cold rivers or hot springs and tubs. Dynamite. Blue.
As we crossed the state border, they said “Welcome to Colorful Colorado”. A land inviting us to paint our own adventures, climb every mountain and ford every stream.
But some of Colorado’s best treats don’t come in colors: downhills, full & happy bellies after a day’s ride, tailwinds, and catching your breath at the summit of a mountain pass.
So ride on.